Summer means ice cream. Ice cream has ancient origins but in the past it was certainly different from what it is today. Water ices were used in the Roman Empire. Historians believe Marco Polo brought a recipe for milk ices from the Far East, after one of his long journeys. Later, ice cream recipes were used in the courts of Europe by the nobility in particular. In antiquity, fruits, milk and honey were chilled to make a nutritious food. It is a high caloric food and it is possible to find homemade ice cream or industrial ones. Homemade ice cream is characterized by fresh products, such as milk, fresh fruits, sugars, and other ingredients depending on taste.
Ice cream contains sugars, fats, mineral salts and vitamins. Homemade fruit ice cream and sorbets contain fresh ingredients, fewer fats and additives, no preservatives, fewer calories and they don’t usually contain milk.
Here are some tips for enjoying your ice cream in the best way:
- Choose high quality ice cream, preferring homemade fruit ones.
- Eat it after a hard work out. It is the best way to restore energy loss, water and mineral salts. It is the smartest way to consume ice cream without putting on weight.
- Choose it like a break meal but avoid to substitute lunch or dinner with an ice cream, it is not the same thing!
- Be careful if you are intolerant to lactose, it can cause gastrointestinal problems.
- Remember, it is a good food after a workout but it is a high caloric food too. So be careful not to overdo because it could be responsible of an increase in body weight at the end of the summer… so moderation is the secret.
Is there a better motivation to practice a sport or start a vigorous physical activity?