During the summer it is more difficult to maintain a regular healthy diet. This period is characterized by more free time, different food habits, and many occasions to have a meal out.
Generally during the summer appetite tends to reduce but a gain of weight is not uncommon during the holiday. Why? Probably because meals became more caloric and at the same time physical activity decreases. Probably because we tend to drink more (and I’m not talking about water!).
Here are some easy tips that can help you in this period:
- Pay attention to soft and alcoholic drinks. During the summer (especially in sea areas), it is very common to drink alcoholic cocktails or fruit juices rich in sugars. Do not overconsume them and remember that they are rich in sugar and calories but poor of healthy nutrients, especially if we are talking about alcoholic appetizers.
- Eating fruit is essential in summer, but try to choose fruit with high quantity of water (especially melon, watermelon) and remember that fruit means sugar. So maintain the recommending 2-3 portions per day and avoid consuming kilos of fruit per day.
- Do not eat ice cream or cake at the end of a complete rich meal (first and second course plus fruit and vegetables). Eat them after light food for example after fish and vegetables
- Use your free time to maintain a regular physical activity, continuing your training during the summer. If you are not used to practising regular exercises this can be a good opportunity for a peaceful walk in the mountains or a relaxing walk in the seawater.
- Remember to drink at least 2 litres of water every day, maintain a high consume of vegetables and fruits in the right amount. It will help you to contrast high temperature. Moreover do not eat foods rich in fat (especially animal fat) and prefer simple ways of cooking (vapour, grilled, boiled) avoiding as much as you can fried foods.
Hope you have a nice and healthy holiday!